1.05.2010

Protection money

I got a call today from WellsFargo’s fraud protection folks. Apparently someone in California has been trying to use my check card. This is impressive given the fact that the card has been in my wallet the whole time. Charges totaling about 30 bucks went through but larger charges of $200-400 were declined. In any case the lady on the phone was very helpful and aside from the inconvenience of not having access to my check card for a week or so while I wait for them to mail me a new one, everything should work out fine. However at the end of the call she asked if she could transfer me to another number for more information about how I could protect myself from identity theft. Sure, I thought, that sounds helpful. It turns out this helpful information is a third party selling identity theft protection. Presumably this company pays WellsFargo for these referrals. Now is this just an example of trying to make a buck while being helpful? A combination of customer service on their part and good targeted marketing by the third party? Or is it a predatory business practice, using an unfortunate event to prey on people’s fears and sell them something they don't need? The thing has the feel of “Hey, we just found this guy trying to break your window. Don’t worry, we stopped him this time, but you know it’s dangerous out there, you never know what could happen. Oh, did I mention I’ve got these friends that will keep an eye on your windows, you know, for a small fee?” Thoughts?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 18:21 , Blogger Terri @findingdrishti.com said...

hey david, you might want to look into freezing your credit. it costs something like $30 to freeze it across all 3 credit bureaus, and then no one can touch your credit - even you - until you thaw it. do a search on clarkhoward.com to see how. - Terri

 
At 20:28 , Blogger rjgintrepid said...

Speaking from a banker's perspective, I would say that the fraud protection is quite the ripoff. One, the cost is outrageous. Two, they really can't protect you, they just help detect it (which the bank does anyway) and then supposedly help you recover. I have never actually seen a customer use the service, just pay through the nose for it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home