6.18.2009

Texas music

Someone once asked me what “Texas music” was when I told them it was one of the genres I enjoy. I’m listening to some now on KHYI 95.3 via the internet while I work. It’s a broad, loosely defined genre encompassing country, alternative country, folk, bluegrass, singer/songwriter, etc. The “Texas” part comes from some combination of being produced in Texas (as opposed to Nashville), composed by musicians from Texas, and/or songs with Texas and Texas themes as the subject. Politically it can range from progressive (like Steve Earle) to reactionary (comic pseudo-earnest reactionary?) like this song I just heard with lyrics that cracked me up for their blatant embrace of stereotype:
“Guns and Religion/ Religion and Guns
I cling to ‘em both/ apoligizin’ to none
They both can save you/ when trouble comes
Guns and Religion/ Religion and Guns”

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is the title of that song, and who sings it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home